In order to apply for this or any other job you will need to log in.
Dynetics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, is seeking a talented Optical Systems Design Engineer to join a diverse team to create unique solutions for complex problems. With offices across the United States engaging in the defense, space, cyber and commercial fields, Dynetics provides responsive, cost-effective engineering, scientific and IT solutions.
The individual selected for this position will be a design engineer with proven optical engineering expertise. The individual must be a self-starter with experience working on inter-disciplinary teams to solve challenging technical problems. The engineer will work closely with hardware integrated into a diverse range of aerospace and military systems including manned/unmanned ground/air vehicles, missiles, sensors, and space systems.
The selected candidate will be expected to execute in a fast-paced, small team environment through all phases of the optical system development life cycle from requirements definition and detailed design through manufacturing support, calibration and alignment, qualification testing, and post-delivery support. The ideal candidate should be familiar with lens and optical system design and prototyping using industry standard lens design software and/or other image processing and optical signature tools and will be responsible for developing robust optical solutions. The candidate should be able to understand and model the theoretical operation of these systems and balance tradeoffs of multiple characteristics to reach an optimal design for MWIR/LWIR/EO-IR applications. The candidate should also be familiar with optical system design and packaging practices to fully support the solutions that Dynetics is developing.
With a product focus, the individual is also expected to actively partner with other engineers, project managers, technicians and the customer to develop solutions that adhere to a diverse set of requirements. Additionally, the engineer will support resolution of technical issues that are discovered during the manufacture and test of deliverable hardware.
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, or a related discipline from an ABET-accredited institution.
• Candidate must have demonstrated experience in optical system design and test.
• Hands-on optical laboratory experience with instrumentation, test equipment, and debug/test methods.
• Motivated self-starter and problem solver with experience executing in multi-disciplinary teams.
• Candidate must have demonstrated experience effectively communicating within a team environment.
• Candidate must be a resident of the North Alabama area or willing to relocate to the Huntsville, AL area.
Preference will be given to candidates that possess some or all of the following criteria:
• Familiarity with MWIR/LWIR/EO-IR applications
• Opto-mechanical design and support of complex EO-IR hardware experience a plus
• Experience in lens and optical system design and prototyping using industry standard lens design software such as Zemax and/or other image processing and optical signature tools (i.e. Matlab, ImageJ, etc)
• Strong academic background
• Design-to-delivery of R&D prototype optical systems in MWIR and LWIR, including laser based systems for defense applications.
• Familiarity with common COTS optics vendors as well as specifying custom optical assemblies and components
Candidate must be a US Citizen and possess (and be able to maintain) a Final Secret Clearance or meet the eligibility to obtain (and maintain) a Secret Clearance.