Dynetics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, is seeking a talented Principal Spacecraft Mechanical Lead Engineer to join a diverse team to create unique solutions for complex problems. With offices across the United States engaging in the defense, aerospace, cyber, space and commercial fields, Dynetics provides responsive, cost effective engineering, scientific and IT solutions.
This position will lead the establishment of a Dynetics spacecraft integration capabilities in Huntsville, AL. The Senior Mechanical Engineer for spacecraft integration and test will lead the mechanical integration and test flow for a spaceflight instrument or system, design and build Special Test Equipment (STE) to safely handle and test critical hardware, identify the facilities and tools required, and lead the execution of critical hardware assembly and test operations. The Principal Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Lead will partner with Leadership and other Leidos entities to build a transition plan from current R&D activities to production.
The Mechanical Engineering Lead will provide critical input in life-cycle design and producibility reviews, the definition of facility requirements, selection, activation, and commissioning. Key responsibilities will include the following:
- Design high-level satellite assembly architecture, manage /Conduct spacecraft integration build flow and test operations
- Develop assembly and integration test plans and procedures based on concepts and designs. Refine processes based on lessons learned.
- Evaluate proposed and existing designs for manufacturability and integration. Interface with both engineers and technicians to optimize manufacturing and automation
- Providing labor and schedule estimates for low-rate initial production
- Developing tooling and equipment needs and partnering with Supply Chain teammates on acquisition. Responsibility for the certification, usage, and maintenance of MGSE designed for project
- Enable day-to-day execution of the vehicle integration and test flow, perform precision assembly of small-scale and large-scale mechanical and electromechanical assemblies.
- Evaluate non-conformances to determine root cause and create actionable items and system improvements
The candidate selected for this position will lead a high-impact project within the Dynetics manufacturing organization that will be a dynamic environment and a high growth area.
- Bachelor of Science (or greater) degree in Mechanical Engineering, Optics, Aerospace Engineering, or other relevant engineering discipline with 10+ years of test and integration experience
- In lieu of degree High School diploma, GED, or equivalent with 20+ years of applicable experience
- Ability to interpret detailed component performance specifications and Interface Control Drawings (ICD), including assembly manufacturing drawings, parts lists, and assess engineering changes for impacts
- Candidate must have experience in spacecraft sensor and/or spacecraft assembly, test and integration, with an understanding of quality requirements for such products
- A qualified Candidate will have experience and knowledge of optical sensor systems and associated test methodologies
- Experience writing test plans, procedures and providing go/no-go judgment and rationale. Documentation and configuration management experience
- A qualified candidate must have experience in manufacturing or processing of space hardware in a clean-room environment
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T) standards and preparation of manufacturing documentation
- Practical experience with the design, fabrication, assembly, and qualification of MGSE hardware
- Experience environmental testing of space hardware, including: Thermal Vacuum, Vibration Test, Mass Properties and Shock testing
- Candidate must be a resident of the North Alabama area or willing to relocate to the Huntsville - North Alabama, AL area
- Experience in production readiness reviews and concurrent engineering activities to ensure design for manufacturability on new designs of large machined components
- Experience with alignment and metrology verification activity planning and execution. Knowledge of precision measurement equipment and processes (e.g. laser trackers, probing, CMM, etc)
- Familiarity with Manufacturing Execution Systems and Deltek Costpoint accounting software
- Experience with AS9100, IPC, and DCMA standards
- Experience leading integration activities with emphasis on timely, high quality manufacturing
- Demonstrated expertise in Lean principles, Visual Management and continuous improvement
- Strong background in the Aerospace Industry
Candidate must be a US Citizen and possess (and be able to maintain) a Final Secret Clearance or meet the eligibility to obtain (and maintain) a Secret Clearance.
In order to enter Dynetics facilities in the U.S. and to attend Dynetics events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated or have an approved exemption on file for COVID-19. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.